Tutorials and Examples
Louis Farrugia's WinGX Single Crystal Suite
Installing 32 bit Ortep-3 on WinNT 4.0
The CCP14 Homepage is at http://www.ccp14.ac.uk
Ortep-3 is the Oak Ridge National Laboratory program by M.N.
Burnett and C.K. Johnson. As seen from the following screen dump, the GUI
version by Louis Farrugia has put a complete Graphical User Interface around
ORTEP and includes, Windows Edit Copy, and links to RASTER3D and Povray for
photo realistic rendering of structures.
Downloading and installing Ortep-3
- It is best to do the following using the system administrator's account
so a) everyone can use the system and b) DLLs can be copied into the correct area
and the Environment variable (ORTEP3DIR) can be defined globally.
- Download Ortep-3 - http://www.chem.gla.ac.uk/~louis/software/ortep3/
[CCP14 UK Mirror] |
[CCP14 Canadian Mirror] |
[CCP14 Australian Mirror]
- Extract the Setup.exe file using WinZIP for PKZIP
into a temporary directory such as c:\temp
- Run the setup.exe program.
- After the setup program prompts for the directory to install Ortep-3 into, then
installs the files; it will then present you with the Environment variable information
that is required to be set.
- Go into the Control Panel, System and set the following
- Now copy over the licence file you have received via E-mail to the
ORTEP3 directory as: Ortep3-license (normally into the c:\ortep3\ directory).
- Then run WinGX and link in Ortep-3 so it can be called by WinGX using the
Files, SYSTEM, Setup, Applications-1 option.