Methods, Problems and Solutions
Absorption Contrast/Microabsorption in Powder Diffraction
The CCP14 Homepage is at http://www.ccp14.ac.uk
Rietveld Mailing List
Thu, 07 May 1998
From: "Linda D. Mansker"
None of the Rietveld packages deal well enough with X-ray absorption
contrast, at least for my samples - I'm currently working diligently on the
problem as we 'speak', as my samples are not supposed to be undergoing
absorption effects, due to the particle sizes and morphologies, according
to the information available. I use both DBWS and GSAS. I have DBWS
version 9411, and can send the original distribution along to you, if you
don't have it.
I can recommend several papers which allow one to correct for absorption
contrast by hand:
1. Journal of applied crystallography, volume 24, pp 14-17.
Authors J.C. Taylor and C.E. Matulis
2. Physica (Utrecht), vol. 13, pp 62-78. Author P.M. de Wolff
3. Philosophy Magazine; vol. 35, pg. 215 and pg. 404. Author A.
4. Philosophy Magazine; vol. 36, pp.347-69. Author: G.W. Brindley
5. A text: A. Taylor: "X-ray Metallography", p. 259. Publisher: Wiley
New York, 1961.
I hope to have one out on the subject by end of June, also. I can keep you
informed on my progress.
Hope that helps!
Linda D. Mansker | 213 Farris Engineering Center
firstname.lastname@example.org | Albuquerque, NM 87131-1341
Chemical and Nuclear Engr. Dept | Ph: (505)277-5841
University of New Mexico | Fax: (505)277-5433
- Taylor.J.C. and Matulis. C.E. Absorptron Contrast Effects in the Quandtative XRD Analysis of Powders by Full
Multiphase Profile Refinement. J. Appl Cryst., 24, 14-17, (1991)
- P.M. de Wolff; "A Theory of X-ray Absorption in Mixed
Powders", Physica (Utrecht), v. 13, 62-78 (1947).
- G.W. Brindley, "A Theory of X-ray Absorption in Mixed Powders";
Philosophy Magazine; v. 36, 347-69 (1945).
- A. Taylor: "X-ray Metallography", p. 259. Publisher: Wiley
New York, 1961.